Neighbor Disputing Your Property Lines? 3 Tips On What You Can Do About This

If you have a neighbor that is disputing your property lines, this can end up being a large conflict between the two of you. Fortunately, there are things you can do to end the conflict, three of which are listed below. You and your neighbor can start getting along again.

Check Your Home's Deed

Your home's deed will show the boundary lines for your property. This will give you a good starting off point. The deed may show if your land has markers set up. If so, these markers may still be there, especially if you recently purchased the land. Walk around your land and see if you can find these markers. This may be concrete posts or wooden stakes embedded into the ground. The posts may be painted with a bright color so they are easily found.

If you have this, show your neighbor your home's deed, as well as the boundary markers on your property, if found. This may be enough to stop the conflict. If your neighbor still disputes the property lines, however, there are other things you can do.

Hire a Land Surveyor

The land surveyor will first look at the initial survey for your land. They will get this survey from the county municipality. The land surveyor must have this survey to determine your property lines. This is because the survey will show the original boundaries set.

If you do not already have this, they can obtain your home's deed. Once they obtain the survey and deed, the land surveyor will use equipment, such as GPS units, levels, and planimeters to determine the exact location of your property lines. Once they determine this they will map the points using stakes or spray paint.

When the survey is finished, the land surveyor will sign the survey and file it with financial institutions and county authorities. A record of this survey may also be added to your home's deed.

Go to Court

If your neighbor still disputes the property lines, you need to hire an attorney that specializes in cases like this. Just hiring the attorney may be all you need, as the attorney can send a letter to your neighbor stating your intent.

If the case does go to trial, the land surveyor can testify on your behalf. The surveyor will show the court the boundary measurements they determined in their survey. This is generally enough to win your case.

Talk to a land surveyor professional in your area or visit websites like to learn much more information about this.